Organic food is not a myth
They have been shown to have a positive effect on human health and the environment. The production of organic products is based on natural ways and techniques of cultivation and the use of alternative forms of protection, while supporting the maintenance of natural balance and soil fertility.
Organic foods are considered safer than conventional ones (lower nitrous and agrochemical levels and genetic modification ban) and they provide the essential elements for children to develop free of toxic agents.
Definition of Organic Products
The organic product grows, is developed and processed without the use of synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, antibiotics or hormones. Only farmers and producers who cultivate food in accordance with the organic regulations and are certified by an independent body can designate their products as "organically certified". The term "conventional" characterizes non-organic farming practice.
The Importance of Soil Health
Farmers have been using chemical fertilizers and pesticides for the past 50 years in order to boost the production of their crops. Over time, insects, weeds and plant diseases have become resistant to these pesticides, resulting in new and stronger pesticides with multiple applications during the plant growth cycle. Despite the huge increase in pesticides since 1950, the rate of crop loss from weeds remains about the same.
According to the International Food Policy Research Institute (http://www.ifpri.org/), 40% of the world's cultivated soil is severely reduced due to erosion (as a result of continuous cultivation of the same products), depleted of nutrients (due to the use of chemical fertilizers) and salinized (because of salt deposition in the soil from excessive irrigation).
The good news is that organic farming methods such as crop rotation, the use of compost instead of chemical fertilizers and careful irrigation, can reduce damage and regenerate healthy soil.
Choosing organic products
- We protect our health as well as that of our family.
- We set an example for children so that they can acquire a different philosophy in life, as they learn to consume nutritious foods and have a greater environmental awareness.
- We ensure the health of workers in agricultural production.
- We reduce the ecological footprint and behave environmentally friendly.
- We ensure a safer and healthier world for future generations to live in, as no harmful chemicals are used in organic farming. Thus, there is minimal pollution of soil, air and water.
Tip: Organic foods must be certified. Find the special markings they must have on the packaging from a recognized body (either nationally or internationally).